Monday, May 30, 2011

Johnny Rockets


My first experience at a Johnny Rockets was...thought provoking.


Erin and I sat beside the front windows that stood as the front wall of the restaurant
Before our food arrived I looked over the my shoulder and at the corner of the restaurant was a homeless man sitting on a white tablecloth against the building
We are in downtown DC.  Please understand me when I say I know there is more than one homeless person in DC; we passed at least a dozen that day
Sitting there, sipping milkshakes, nodding our toes to the beat of the jazzy hip music, it occurred to me that I am very comfortable in my lifestyle and I begin to question if I have forgotten what I have learned in my urban classes...do I remember how it felt to have nothing but the Lord?


After talking with Erin, I decided to give the man my french fries.  I do not want to give him money as I will not know how he will spend the money.  I'm beginning to feel a little better about the situation...I even put a ketchup cup in the container just in case


As we exit the restaurant, I greet and chat with him, give him the fries and tell him to have a good night...
THEN it hits me...there is another man sitting beside him.  This second man was not visible from where I was sitting in the restaurant.  The second man was also hungry


I didn't have food to give him


I am slowly realizing that I cannot "save" everyone.  There is always going to be that person...the person who turns away from God...the person who, for whatever reason, chooses the unwise path...the person who I cannot feed.  It's difficult to understand that there will always be the poor, the widows, the sick and weak


In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace
Ephesians 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment